Ades Blog, No Monkeys Here!

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

back to Fedora for me

Its time to say goodbye to Ubuntu, it was fun, but Im going back to Fedora. (I feel like a bloke who left his wife for someone young and exciting only to realise that he was much better suited to his wife all along).

Dont get me wrong, Ubuntu is an amazing desktop and to get it to the stage its at now, in such a short space of time is nothing short of phenoninal. However, it is just that, a desktop distro, and its never claimed otherwise to be honest. Fedora can be both a server or a desktop or anything in bewtween - and its this in between that suits me so well. Im far more interested in the server side of things than the desktop.

There are quite a few niggles I have with Ubuntu but I wont list them as it is a very young product and you to be honest you would expect it. For now Im back with Fedora (shes forgiven my indiscretion) and to be honest, it feels good to be back.

I like Fedora for its non-desktop bias, it is pushing forward with things like SELinux (more server thing granted), I like the way Fedora have made VNC server more like Terminal services than VNC, I love the IPsec tab on the network settings tab (yum install ipsec-tools if you havent got that by the way). This one may well be apt-gettable by the way, Im not sure Ipsec tab

The reason that Fedora can invest time in pushing forward is because it has had a working desktop for ages now, that bits done, leaving them time to look at other stuff. Ubuntu will get to this point too and quite a lot quicker than it took Redhat I suspect but Im not prepared to wait, to take a step backwards if you like.

Apt-get is great, dont get me wrong but these days yum would give it a very good run for its money, or you could use apt-get rpm should you wish.

Certain beardos would classify my move away from Ubuntu as a failure, but then they are hardly unbias with regards to Debian :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home