Ades Blog, No Monkeys Here!

Sunday, January 02, 2005

New Year, New Job ? Maybe you need an XML Resume

So its 2005 already, wow! Quite a few people find themselves making rash promises and resolutions at this time of year - one on the regular ones is "hey, I need a new job". I hasten to add here, that this is not me, Im very happy in my job at the moment thanks. However, like anyone who works in IT, I always try and keep my CV up to date.

I was reading a weblog this morning and I clicked on his CV link (Im always interested to see how people lay their CVs out). I was given an option of seeing it in text, html, PDF or XML. Infact he stated that his CV was in XML CV format. Ive not heard of this before, so I followed the link to XML Résumé - the general idea is that you create your CV in XML and the you can use XSL stylesheets to transform your CV into PDF etc etc.

I think this has to be a great idea, especially if all the recruitment agencies started standardising on this. It would mean they could search for cadidates on the metadata, getting better matches, quicker and that you wouldnt get offered jobs that you are not interested in. Another plus point is that you are not locked into providing your CV in MS Word format, like so may agencies insist on. Anyway, I thought it looked like an interesting idea.

Good luck with your resolutions everyone

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home